Jumaat, 19 September 2008

Failure not in language but in teachers

WITH so many letters on whether to maintain English for Maths and Science and the latest comment from the Education Minister that “we may use BM at lower primary and secondary levels,” I could not help expressing my views.

Initially, when the minister said he wanted a review, I had faith that he would make the right decision, considering the overwhelming sentiment for maintaining the use of English in teaching Maths and Science. But I was wrong; how could he even think that changing to BM either fully or partially could be beneficial?

Has he really reviewed the strengths and weaknesses of teaching Maths and Science in English? I’m sure most parents out there will agree with me that the pros outweigh the cons.

The obvious weakness in fact has nothing to do with our children’s ability to learn but rather the ability of the teachers to teach. I even heard a teacher translating tolak as “push” instead of minus, i.e. 4 push 3, instead of 4 minus 3.

I would strongly suggest that the wise Minister spends more time thinking of how to train our teachers instead of thinking of changing the medium from English to BM.

Let’s equip our future generation with strong competency in English as the private sector uses English as the primary communication tool. They need better English to survive in this global world.

VERY AFRAID PARENT,

Subang Jaya.

The Star Online: 19 September 2008

Tiada ulasan: